Thursday 21 July 2011

Anorak's Corner

ANORAK'S CORNER

You were warned.

Everyone should have a hobby.

After borrowing SH's  fancy car one day, I was then a bit dissatisfied with the sounds in my van. SH's bass, standard merc fitting, made the wing mirrors vibrate. I wanted some of that. I looked in the second-hand ads, got a 12inch sub and amp. Nice. So I got another.

You hear these boy racers driving past, going "boom, boom, boom", and think, "Wanker". Yeah, I know. But I've got a half hour drive to work, on open roads. It's the only time I can wind up the volume. That's my excuse. When the boy racer gets his girlfriend pregnant, she says "That's got to go, I can't get the pram in the boot". So I buy it cheap.

I've now got fourteen 12inch speakers installed, each with its own amp. Plus two ten inch, two 6 x 9's, four tweeters. A length of cooker cable from the battery to a consumer switch unit in the back, extra batteries, two power caps. (I'm not sure I believe in the caps, but they were going cheap).

I've got, but not installed yet, six 10inch, two 8inch, four 6 x 9's, and several spare amps.

I'm running out of power now. I guess I've got to install another alternator.

I also have to unship all the cabs when I need to carry a load. So I've installed four 12's outside, in the top of one back door, with a big box sticking out. I can fit eight 12's in each door with that trick. But it's a lot of work, and the MOT is due soon. Will it pass this one?

So maybe its time to let this van die, start work on another. The Transit shape has changed, so my cabinet work is not transferrable.

In my defence, I don't associate with other car sound loonies. It's not a social thing. I've dipped into the websites, but they all talk bollocks. I know about electronics and physics, I don't believe in oxygen-free cable and crystal therapy. A watt is an amp multipled by a volt. Volts is amps times resistance. I'm pulling 150 amps from my alternator, (and it glows).

If you're still reading, you're as weird as me. Guess I'd better do some pics. It's all a bit of a mess, a work in progress. Experimental. Well, it's something to do in tea-break. Mumble, excuses. Er.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post is now obsolete. I got another van and I’ve started again! I’m doing it all a bit tighter now, so it’ll take a while. But I’m posting this anyway. Have a laugh at the pics. Yeah, it’s messy, but it’s a work-in-progress.  J






 

7 comments:

vivid said...

where are the decks?

Shinar's Basket Case said...

Sorry Zaphod, never seen the point of it me-self. As long as I can hear John Humpreys and Eddie Mair then that's all i need.

*taps foot along to Billy-Jim-Bob's "Cajun Swamp Sounds"*

Anonymous said...

l envisage a very intelligent man but as with most of these types they suffer from some disfunction or other. Do you suffer from have OCD? You look as though you have gone way over the top.

No offence intended.

Anonymous said...

Any posts on your parking tickets coming up?

Smoking Hot said...

Nope, l'm not going to be Grammar Nazi ... I'm a good boy me. Well, today anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

FFS how do you sort that lot out in pic 7?

Shaky said...

Met you for the first time on Thurs Zaphod when you were picking SH and bobi up from port. Glad that I had already arranged a lift back home coz if I'd have scrounged a lift from you.......where the f##k would I have sat ? ha ! That's if the new Tranny has been "done-up" like that as well ?